Tuesday 29 October 2013

Part one: A fighter to the end.

Cause of alarm

Alhamdulillah.
I am still alive today and doubtlessly thankful for that. After months of struggling with chemotherapy, radiotherapy and surgery, I fought death to live more years. I have had so much general anaesthetic (sleep inducing or numbing drug) that I can’t remember my husband’s hand phone number anymore. 

The side effect of acquiring three dosage of GAs during surgeries resulting me to be in severe confusion and in a state of memory lost. The latest GA which lasted fourteen hours put me in a blurry, delirious and even more forgetful condition.

At work, I can’t seem to remember what my staff have to submit and when. Datelines are more like deadlines and I suddenly becoming careless and feeling more useless in the office. Thanks to my immediate superior and staffs for their cooperation and understanding and to friends who supported me morally all through these years.

This lousy memory lost is becoming a big problem to me. Sometimes, my staff would handed in work I didn't remember assigning. It happened several times latest was last Monday...she was a trainee under my guidance

"Since I was busy helping you with the audio visual in the studio and all, will you excuse me from submitting my magazine advert today?" she asked.

Then it dawned on me that I had asked her to produce a magazine advertisement a few days ago, which she had to hand in later in the evening. TODAY!

"When is the meeting?”, I calmly answered,  I absolutely forgotten that it was her due that day.

10 minutes passed...

"Meeting is in two days. Puan"

" I'm still thinking about it".

I was on a web search, engrossed in work when she asked me referring to the same advert, persistent to the point of irritation. Fuming, I told her all reports should be on my table by 7pm today.

She appeared with her report promoting…...  that I didn't bother to check.

"What's this?"

Of course, after eight years in the profession I know exactly how to cover up my mistakes.

"That advert fails to entice me. See, it doesn't have…. it's too expensive...blah...blah...blah...”

It was my mistake.
 

One late evening in early October Mr. Hubby came to visit in the ward with a bouquet of red roses in a basket of fruits top with my favorite chocolates and butter cookies. A little card inserted at a side.
Astonished as curiosity overwhelmed me he hugged me tight, a brief kiss landed on my forehead as he whispered lovingly…

“ Happy Anniversary Sayang”

Bewildered, I'm not sure if I got married in October or November!

My forgetfulness.
Hey!! I am thirty one not sixty one…..


 


No comments:

Post a Comment