Friday 11 October 2013

"How old Min"


Last week, I went for a meeting on behalf of my boss (husband). In the boardroom there were six of us. The chairman, suddenly and unusually, startled us by asking us Muslims to offer a short prayer and recite Al Fatihah for the passing of one member’s son recently.
I asked then, “How old, Min?
She looked straight into my eyes and said “He was eight”
I felt my heart shattered watching her with all her calmness in admitting and explaining in detail to us how it all started with a fever, later common strep, went viral attacking the brain which then leads him into a coma with ADAMs. (In non medical term which is quite similar to meningitis, but not the same).
I valiantly kept back my tears. I am a mom, any such heart breaking news as this would instantly trigger an exceptionally detailed simulation with “what if this happened to Sarah or Billi”  Tried acting very professional, we continued with the subject in hand.
I can’t help myself stealing glances at her and wondered what is on her mind right then. She successfully portrayed that seemly cool exterior. No matter how much glitter she was wearing on her hands and ears can’t absolutely mask the hurt she must have felt deep in her heart. If it was me, I don’t think I would be able to function much even after a year or more.
Life must go on. Wept for the loss, but always continue to love and cherish what we now have.

There are other souls depending on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment