Saturday 23 March 2013

It's not about what you like....



Politics came late into my life. For most of my teenage years, I chose to be in the state of ignorance is bliss when it came to governance. It was not hard to be complacent, then. BN were in power, had always been in power and will always be in power, or so said me as a 16 year-old girl.
I remember then when daddy trying to persuade me to flick through the political stories in the dailies delivered to our home when I was home during the school holidays. I told him what I think of politicians...
 “They’re like kindergarten spoil brats, fighting over the pettiest things but doing so little for the people.”
He retorted by saying perhaps one of the most important phrases I uphold in my life since...
 “It’s not about what you like or what you don’t like. It’s about knowledge, and knowing is better than not.”
I blame his statement for my collection of books on subjects as diverse as post colonialism to the history of football; on authors ranging from Ibn Batutta to Plato. I hate some of the stuff, but I still think I should have a working knowledge of them. Know thy enemy.....

In a matter of days it will be election week I intend to make mine count when polling booths open if I am still around…..

No comments:

Post a Comment