Wednesday 27 March 2013

DPSSD....you got it all....



I have confused enough people into thinking that I have leadership qualities. Evidence is people have voted me into positions of power and the idea of me actually running for office got me thrown into the ring but not seriously
 I don’t possess the necessary qualities to be a leader. One of my teachers got it quite right when she said that I was neither a leader nor a follower. I was just too lost inside my own head.
But this has not stop me admiring other’s in leadership. What I admire most is the ability of people in power to be ‘just like one of us’. There are many stories in history that depict this and one is Umar ibn Abd Aziz, the Umayyad caliph who was known to denounce riches and wandered through the night as a commoner to witness the pain of his subject.
 Henry V in the Shakespeare’s wandered among his soldiers in disguise to boost their morale.
Recently, during a development course in UTM campus I bumped into one of our OC walking down the stairs of the student halls where they were put up for the night.
“Are you staying here as well?” I asked.
He smiled and said, “Yes, I got a room beneath you. I thought I’d check out the student accommodation for myself.”
 I would not have batted an eyelid if he has choosen to be put up in the cozy hotel down the road, but his insistence on being just like one of us, win him my respect.
I am too used to bigwigs putting themselves and family first and blatant misuse of benefit whenever the opportunity arises. 
When was the last time your top guy opted to slum with the marhaens?

No comments:

Post a Comment