Saturday 23 April 2011

Tok Ayah….. your guiding hand on my shoulder will remain with me forever.



(Jom…lets set a date for Grandfather’s Day…nak???)

If you ask all my siblings ( dad was the only one married then), who's the closest one to grandpa (Tok Ayah), they would definitely certainly absolutely answer: Ni*a! Oh yes, I am grandad’s   girl because I always brought home straight A's in my primary years …. hehehehehe. Or because among others, I am the only girl and the one with the bad health, hence I was the most fragile one.  

But for sure not because I am the best among his grandchildren ….or most well mannered but I am very sure am the naughtiest yet the smartest!!!!.....
TA was a headmaster at the primary school I went to. Imagine being the head of the school but, to find his grand daughter being punished in front of the classroom (kena  ketuk ketampi/ berdiri atas kerusi) for being rude/not finishing homework on time. The worst was when I was  sent to his office  for dating during recess time. (kantoi dating??  Haha!)
TA was always there in the first row, each time I performed on stage. Poem citing, choir, nasyid, spelling bees, storytelling.... name it…. And he would be the first on standing ovation with a thumb up sign.  :)
The one who was always there to make sure I eat every pills, every prescription and the one who hold the plastic when I puked. I used to wake up in the middle of the night, gasping for air, but he was already by my side with an inhaler. When I agreed  to attend a boarding school he was a bit upset. Each time I pack my stuffs, he would always make sure I didn't forget my inhaler ( I was freed from asthmatic when in secondary two)
It was on the day that he was scheduled for a by-pass operation, which was on the same day I was scheduled to fly off to Sydney for further studies. It was last minute to change my flight date and I had asked grandpa if he wanted me to stay I would insist my sponsors to postpone the date of my departure to Australia. 
He had said, "Tak apa lah.(its ok) If anything happens..I go my way, and you go your way..." and he smiled, his usual calm smile.
(He passed away a few  months later)
And for what I am today, I thank you Tok Ayah.
Al-Fatihah.

No comments:

Post a Comment