Saturday 16 April 2011

DAY 28 -MY HEART BROKE TO PIECES


That morning.... the dining area sliding doors were wide opened. The breeze and the smell of  fresh air refreshing........
Outside, Blackie meowing.
In the kitchen, Bibik grumbling - something about the dirty laundry.( Cakap jawa - tak faham)
From the backyard, the trickling sound of the swimming pool and water feature was therapeutic.
Nothing could go wrong.  Or so we thought!
Out of a sudden, Billi appeared from the kitchen, weeping
"Uncle Zul.....Billi sakit ni” he said.
(uncle Zul…I am in pain)
Both of us didn't even look up….. at least not immediately.
Billi  persisted, "Uncle Zul..... tengoklah ni!!" (Uncle Zul…see this)

 "LA'ILA HA'ILALLAHHH! BILLI WHAT HAPPENED??!!!!" said Zul…that startled me.
Zul jumped out of his seat, checking on Billi. I followed him closely from behind. Billi extended  his right thumb and a small part of his backhand! Burn? Scald? Oh my God!! Hot water! Outer layer skin destroyed! Redness exposed! Ouchhhh..... (Cam mana la boleh kena ni?! ) Oh my dear baby.....
“How did this happen?”  Zul asked.
Billi was pointing at the thermal pot and coffee making tray. SHIT!! ( Uh! Sorry.... ) How on earth could he reach that high? Did he step onto something?
"Uncle Zul its hurting ..!"  Billi continued weeping.
I just stood there. Didn't move. Couldn't move? Half frozen.
"Ok sayang... jangan nangis" said Zul. (Please don’t cry Hon…)
He carried Billi into the kitchen to get the 1st aid kit.  But NO BURNOL!!!
Meanwhile, Billi continued weeping, "Mama its hurting.. "
"Hang in there Ninja”  Zul said while rushing upstairs to get his car keys ...." .

I was helplessly trying to think of what home remedy I could resort to in this emergency situation. Something cold. I must find something cold. And I rushed to the fridge and took out -  butter!! Grabbed a spoon, scraped a thin layer of the butter and gently applied it onto Billi’s little thumb.
"Mama it hurts ......" Billi wept.    
My heart broke into pieces.

Oh my dear baby. I kissed him on his forehead, hugged him and consoled him and nasty thoughts began creeping in ... what a careless Mom!  
( Anak depan mata pun tak boleh jaga.... ).

Billi was actually pretty calm and composed. He didn't cry out loud at all. I wiped his tears away again and again hugging him – gently. Zul drove us to the clinic shortly after.

The doctor asked what was the cream on Billi's thumb and I told her it was butter and that was the only thing that I could think then. She smile generously, and I figured she must have been quite impressed with my home remedy. She said I could also use ice cube or ice pack.

We went into the dressing room and the doctor attended  Billi immediately. After cleaning the wound from the mess of my home remedy ‘cream 'she then applied what appeared to me like a "whip cream"  generously over Billis thumb and bandaged it all up neatly. 
Throughout the 'procedure', Billi DID NOT cry at all .....

The doctor advised me not to worry. While the outer layer skin seemed destroyed, the burn was superficial and not severe but she had to bandage it all up because children, they can be quite 'boisterous'
Until today, we still couldn’t  figure out how he could have reached that high to press on thermal pot button. Each time we asked him about it, he would turned and walked away responding, "I am ok now mama”

But accidents do happen my dear Billi, but it was a blessing in disguise - we now know you can quite comfortably write and color with your left hand without any problem at all.
Ambidextrous boy in the making!


That night he cheekily asked me "Ma....when are you marrying uncle Zul....?"
Huh.....???


THXS LEODI.......

2 comments: