Thursday 21 November 2013

Part seventeen: A fighter to the end


Cotton candy in my mouth

The specific organism infecting Kriss was identified as the serratia which at it’s worst could cause meningitis which could result in sudden death. (inflammation of the protective membranes covering the brain and spinal cord,).

Serratia  is a coomon cause of hospital-acquired infections, especially in neonatal intensive care units (NICU). In order to eradicate Serratia outbreaks in NICUs, including all healthcare procedures such as hand washing with antiseptic gel, enhanced cleaning and disinfect of medical equipment and wards, use of single-patient medical instruments and earliest discharge of the infants from hospital.

Alhamdulillah the infection has cleared off. Thanks to friends and family members for their supports and prayers. Kriss had passed the critical stage.

He is now in his second dose of Indomethacin. According to the nurse in charge, he would be taking the drug for 6 days and the PDA would be reviewed soon. Hopefully the opening to his heart will be closed by then and he wouldn't need a second round of Indomethacin. If he does, there will be a two-week break before they could restart treatment.

Sometimes I feel like I am asking too much from God, but there's nothing else that I could do at this point except pray.

Sixteen hours ago...I held my son in my arms for the first time, two weeks after he was born...
I had tears rolling down my cheeks. I was excited. I wanted to kiss him but I was scared that I might cause him to have another infection, so I had to be contented with just rocking him slowly in my arms for about 15 seconds while the kind-hearted nurse cleaned his incubator.

I held back the air I inhaled, in case my exhaled breath might infect him again. Then I slowly kissed both sides of his tiny cheeks...any mother hates seeing her infant ill. If I could just wave a wand to instantly heal his tiny body or take his place to free him from the discomfort…I wish. But his body must fight it out on his own.

These bonding moments together is like I am having cotton candy melting in my mouth. My heart feels at utmost peace.

The same nurse allowed me to hold him again...for about 10 seconds before I started writing again.here ... those moments were the best seconds of my life...
.


I still cry...but I'm taking this better now.

I hope Kriss would be discharge soon, so he could come home with us. I don't know how much time I have left...since little nodules have merrily emerged on my left chest where there used to be a bouncing breast onced.

No comments:

Post a Comment