Sunday 3 November 2013

Part five: A fighter to the end

The Fear

When I was tested positive BRCA1, I told my aunts on my father's side (the hero who passes me this adventurous life) to get tested but she refused (despite the tumor in her ovary) because she feels knowing it is positive means she, her children and grandchildren will be affected too.

Even if she refused to be tested, if it's positive in her gene, there is a 50% chance that she has passed it on to them. Personally, I think it's better to know so that life could be planned accordingly. The moment I was BRCA1 positive, I bought a house for my daughter and decided not to have any more children, because my body might give up on me anytime. 
·        

Family history: You are more likely to develop breast cancer if one or more members of your family have had breast, ovarian, uterine or colon cancer. Your risk is doubled if you have a first-degree relative (sister, mother, daughter) with the disease.

Anyway, although organ metastatic cancer is something all cancer patients fear, I have come across people who live with bone and/or lung metastatic cancer for as long as ten years and chemo for them is like income taxes - something we hate but has to be done anyway.

For your information metastatic cancer has the same name and the same type of cancer cells as the original, or primary, cancer. For example, breast cancer that spreads to the lung and forms a metastatic tumor is metastatic breast cancer, not lung cancer


When I heard the doctor say, 'I'm sorry; the test results show that you have cancer.' 
I heard nothing else. My mind went blank, and then I kept thinking, '
"No, there must be some mistake."

Knowing that you have cancer is a shock. You felt numb, frightened and angry. You might even be angry with God.

For most of us, the first few weeks after diagnosis are the hardest setback. After you hear the word "cancer," you may have trouble breathing or listening to what is being said and while at home you may have trouble thinking, eating, or sleeping.

You are afraid and  worried. It's scary to hear that you have cancer. You fear of being in pain, either from the cancer or the treatment, feeling sick and looking different as a result of your treatment, taking care of your family, paying your bills, keeping your job and finally dying

It is best to read as much as you can find about cancer. Imagining the worst is scarier than knowing what might happen. Having all the facts makes me less afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment