Thursday 14 November 2013

Part eleven: A fighter to the end.


 What is a true friend?

At lunch break, on the second day at work, I was at the café and was happily gulping down my second glass of iced orange juice and the time was about 12.30 pm and walked in Lady Dee the PA to the CEO. Nobody talks much to her because she builds this invisible wall around her that warns others of her reluctance to socialize with any Tom, Dick or Harry. 

She only talks to a privilege few, and that day I was apparently the chosen one. She landed on the chair opposite mine munching a bit of this and that, making faces at everything that touched her palate. She really looks silly while at that. I ignored her, because I only speak when I am spoken to.

There were two other lady walked in and we chatted a bit and then they left and I was alone with LD once again. Suddenly she broke the ice, ask how I was progressing with job…blabla. She stood up, walked over to my side, grabbed my upper arm and said "Why do you suddenly got fat?"
 
I was speechless, uncertain what to say, how to react..
Then she she grabbed the other arm and said "See, fat here too".

"Errm... I always bloat like a hippo during pregnancy".
She looked surprise to know that I am pregnant.
"But you have fat all over you" she added

I rest my case.

Another 'friend' visited me at home after my mastectomy. She was surprised to see that I had my hair cut short. The last time she saw me, I had a head full of wavy hair at shoulder length. I decided to cut it short because when I woke up after the previous surgery, I had dried up blood matting my hair down to the scalp. So I learned my lesson well and with chemo treatment coming up it’s neat to keep my hair short.

Laughing aloud, probably thinking it was funny, she reminded me of my plan to perm and highlight my long hair but it all ended up with a boy cut style.

I could ignore her scornful and insensitive remark, if she kept it short and brief but she choose to repeat herself over again with giggles that sound stupid while pointing her ugly fingers at my head, it irritates me to the moon.

"I did highlight and then perm my hair, remember? You have the picture in your mobile!!"
"Yeah, yeah, but you look funny with this hair style now", she insisted.
"I'm going bald soon" I added.
"Still..." she continue to laugh louder

And these remarks came from a woman who came complaining to me, about someone commented the amount of food she was pilling up in her plates, not one but two were as high as the Himalayas during a pot luck gathering a few months back which she found annoying then. And this is the same lady who constantly complains that people always make fun of her big tummy that looks like she is forever pregnant when she actually is not. I would expect her to have some sensitivity towards others as she is obviously so in tuned with her own predicament.

I see friendship as standing back to back both facing the world and protecting each other, friends do not let friends get hurt. True or best friends never ever willfully hurts the other, a friend would rather die than hurt or blindside their friend.

But life would be colorless without such irk irritations.

It makes me realize what a nice person I am.

I'm thankful...

No comments:

Post a Comment