Saturday 1 December 2012

A friend..


There were times when words we said which was meant as a joke could be construed wrongly and involuntarily hurt others. A damage is done and a friendship is broken unless one forgives easily and not hold  grudges for a long time then it’s easier to ask for forgiveness. But for some whose hearts are hard as rock it could take days or even years for them to forgive you.

No matter how many friends you have, maintaining a friendship is not easy.
“A friend is one who believes in you when you have ceased to believe in yourself”

I remember when my marriage failed that was a point in my life when I felt all alone.  I had a very low self-esteem and I felt unwanted and not worthy of being loved.  I was not as pretty as all the other lawyer chicks that he was working with at that time and I did not possess the same level of intellectual as he did. (He was a lawyer and I was a freshman)

 Friends were consoling me and telling me what a prick he was. That anyone would be lucky enough to have me as a wife as I was smart, witty and that I have a great personality. Of course I did not believe a word since I thought they were only saying all these to make me feel better. I’m not saying I don’t appreciate their kind words but after a while I tend not to believe it even though I know they have got the best interest at heart.

At my worst, L said that if I thought I was ugly, I should change the way I look and if I thought I was fat I should go loose some weight.  “Whatever the mind conceive and believe, you will achieve.” 

He did not try to console me by singing praises to me. All he ever wanted was for me to get back my self-esteem so that I would feel better inside.  He stood by me and never let me give up. I would wake up suddenly at night and feel like crying and I would call him and he would just listen. He would not offer any advice unless I asked. Whenever I was whining about never finding a guy that could love me the way I wanted to be love he would tell me to shut-up and stop feeling sorry for myself. It sounded cruel  but it was the best thing he could have said to me at that point of time.

We haven’t spoken for quite sometime but we know deep in our hearts that we are friends for life. We don’t talk for months and when we talked it was as if we have just spoken to each other only yesterday. He is kinda when you  sit under a tree together, not spoken any words, then walk away feeling like it was the best conversation that you ever had. To me that’s the best kind of friend.


 I could always trust him to tell me the truth even when it hurts. For that I would always cherish my friendship with him until the day I die.

No comments:

Post a Comment