Saturday 2 August 2014

A tailor.


Raising a twelve year old and a baby girl, I guess, has suddenly brought this other side of me. I have always loved to sew but never really pursued it until a best friend made me realize that life is not all about work and family. You gotta have time for things you love to do.

So during my confinement, I experimented my tailoring skill and manage to finish two pairs of baju kurung raya for Sarah with an estimated measurement for practice purpose. I used cheap materials except for the recent boat-necked baju kurung moden which I used the saree material I bought in Mumbai about 2 years ago…for myself.

I managed to finish up Billi’s baju melayu for raya… my first ever baju melayu creation for my beloved son.I have never tailored one before and it was not easy. Sewing the top was easier for me than sewing the pants but once I could perfect the technique, he’d probably be wearing home-made loose pants from now on and of course, due to the not-so-snug fit for the pants, I bought another material to try again. The second time works since I learnt to correct from the first imperfect try.

Just before I found out that I was pregnant, I visited my regular tailor for two pairs of baju kurung. I bought nice materials from my trips to Aceh and since her charges can be quite expensive, I decided to just make a plain baju kurung and enhance it later.

How true… I tried the very basic beading technique, the simplest technique anyone can try  on their baju kurung with the help of rich color beads and a creative ways of arranging the colors together….and the luxurious silk turns out to be even more classy.

I know I’ll be experimenting more since now I have resigned from work. In fact, I planned on doing more baju kurung for Sarah and another baju melayu for Billi.
I wish....I could make one for Zoul as well. 

I do not know how cranky or calm Lyra would be and planning is good, although it might not turn out the way you wanted…….

No comments:

Post a Comment