Monday 22 April 2013

Give them the freedom of their own choice.


If and when I decided to take the risk of bringing another child into this world.
Sometimes we think we know best for our kids, and sometimes, in all earnestness, we make decisions we think best for them. Perhaps that is appropriate for a six year old, we know they are not yet capable of making up their own minds about school etc but I think once a child reaches puberty, there has to be a gradual process of letting go.
Granted, nearly most teenagers harbor dreams of being a famous rock singer or a movie star or professional football/tennis/golf player at that age and if that’s what they wanted to be, perhaps one could play the role of enlightening them about what the future really is about if abandon ones education.. But if that’s where their talent lies as parents give your support and why should they be stopped? At the same time, remind them not cross the religious boundaries of acceptable behavior.
I will allow my kids the freedom of choice but at the same time provide them guidance. If they ask for advice I will advice but I will not push them into any direction without their consent. The worst thing a parent can do is make the child live out their fallen dreams.
Almost every parent wants a doctor or may be an engineer in the family but not every child is cut out to make forays into medicine or physic/mathematics into engineering products because sometimes out of obedience, kids will do as told even with no interest of doing so. And nothing, really, is as miserable as doing something that you have no passion no matter how good you are at it.
 I might be the one bringing them into this world but they will grow up to be individuals in their own rights and as much as I will want to say I know best for them, but it is them that come in closest contact with the inner commotion of their own lives.
It’d be interesting to visit this posting some years after and see how good I have made on my word here.

No comments:

Post a Comment