Tuesday 20 August 2013

Sight beyond sight...


I noticed a couple walking in when we were busy munching our breakfast. They were holding on closely to each other, each one holding a white walking stick. Obviously both were visibly impaired.

They found a table opposite us and the man blessed with a better eye sight adjusted the chair for her to sit on. Both husband and wife in their sixties I guess are regulars at the restaurant. She kept her dark glasses on and was seen whispering constantly to him as he lovingly responded back while caressing her hand.  

I felt so much an intruder as I could not take my eyes off them.

Then I looked around me, there were other couples too  and are younger, families and groups of friends sitting together but not talking to nor looking at each other, merely busy communicating and getting connected to whoever via their so called updated gadgets; whatsapp, sms, bbm and what’s not . But this old couple, though blind were looking at each other while talking. The husband would only gaze away from his wife when he was cutting and dicing the food on her plate for her and guided her hand to the cutlery as she ate her food.

For once I could’t cleaned up the food in my plate.  I was busy watching them enviously.  How beautiful is their way of communication.  How connected they are without their Samsung S3 or iPhone or whatever the latest gadget in the market that most are so proud of..  

I took a snap of them together but mysteriously, there was no trace of that picture I took..
Perhaps I was not supposed to intrude into their private space.
Perhaps they were not even there - but strangely others with me saw them too.  
Perhaps, the blind couple were there to make us see what we have lost.  

 I left with memories of the couple who have more sight and insight then most of us with the 2020 vision.


1 comment: