Friday 21 October 2011

Kiss my hand to say mama


Ted: I was informed Malaysian do not kiss.

Me: You were wrongly informed. We do but not in public.
He looked relieve and a little speculative.

Me: Be careful even with your private kisses, you could be seriously misunderstood.

Yes, there is a cultural difference  in the meaning of a kiss, a touch? A kiss on the lips is nothing very special in the West.

It merely says: Thank you that was a delightful evening, you are sweet.

Jane: I’d worry if the guy didn’t kiss me. I’d think I was ugly or had bad breath or something.

But to a traditional Malaysian girl a kiss like this is A Happening depending on how she feels about the man, most probably she would  react with a scream or a swooning look. Either way he may end up doing a cross coutry run with her uncles or brothers hot on his heel. Anyway the Western friendly kiss seems unlikely ever to catch on, whatever else does.

Said Ted. He was in Malaysia last year and stayed with a Malaysian couple. They took him to see the sight, threated him almost all the local cuisine. Bar the heat and a bit of stomach upset due to the sambal otherwise he had a marvelous time. They seem westernized enough and there was no cultural gap. Saying goodbye at the airport, he pumps  hubby’s hand and bend to kiss the wife and she leaps into the air like a Boeing.

Ted: Since you studied and frequenting the West often how you feel about the western friendly kiss.

Me: The same when I started out. It’s just not me.

I was a bridesmaid to  a good friend during her wedding and when it was time to exchange kisses I quickly went up to the groom to give him the peckiest of  pecks, hardly touching him, this was wiser than waiting for him to pounce.

Ted: Do you suppose I can hold a girl’s hand without having the entire countryside avalanching on me?

Me: Better not risk it unless you are very sure of the time, the place  and the girl.

Ted: How do you guys out there ever get to first base with the girls?

Me: They use body and eye langusge. The rules only forbid the use of hands.

Ted:I better watch a Malaysian Cassanova at work.I might get an education

Me: And what does a kiss on the hand say in your language?

Ted: Lady, I salute your charm.

Me: Sorry. In Malaysian language it says… Mamma I’m your filial son.

Hahahaha…. 

No comments:

Post a Comment