Friday 25 February 2011

Age and marriage


I am one of those girls who got married at a young age. I was 20, a student in a foreign land and I did not marry because 'it was a done thing'. I have never regretted for a single moment of my life, the decision I made back then. I found the right ‘him’ so why should I wait? I still get to see ‘the world' and do the things that I love to do, so what is so wrong with tying the knot at a young age? 

Some may mutter under their breath that the early marriage may be the reason for my break-up. It doesn't matter at what age you get married, if the break-up is going to happen, it will happen. People and feelings change and so are our priorities, changes at different stages of our life. So even if you get married at 40, who can guarantee that your marriage will still be firmly intact by the time you're 50? 

The writer of one woman magazine wrote: 
Do our young understand what it takes to share, respect and show consideration in a relationship? 
Do they realise that love and kindness must be demonstrated by both sides? 
Do they recognise that their partners are equal and not subordinate or superior to them?
 

But how can you be so sure your understanding of love is better when you're older? And how old is old enough to get married anyway? 
You can't learn about love, trust and respect from textbooks but can only understand their true meanings when you ARE in a relationship and I don't think age has got anything to do with it. 

 Comments and ideas are most welcome!

2 comments: