Wednesday 25 May 2011

Daunting tasks.....ehemmm.


I have never been very good at cooking.

I was more of a nuisance than a helping hand whenever I am in the kitchen. Mom would be happier for me to be lounging in front of the tv either watching Tom and Jerry or Sesame Street than to be wandering about in 'her' kitchen. This belief that I can do no good or nuisance in the kitchen has long been instilled in my subconscious mind. To further embed this belief, I was away at the age of 12 to a boarding school more than 300km from home with no access to a 'live' kitchen (other than the school canteen and dining hall which access to the kitchen area was equally denied except for staff only), how can you expect one to bloom into a good cook?

When I was in college, I read about this concept of "self fulfilling prophecy" in Psychology 101. Self-fulfilling prophecy is, in the beginning, a statement, a prediction or a false definition, of a certain situation, the person believing this prophecy then evokes certain behavior or alters his or her action which turns the original false conception to become 'true'.

We were on a week break from work  and were staying in hideaway NVB not far from NT for a day while waiting for our family members coming from KL. After two months of o/s work and was fed food cooked by experienced chef daily, I bought a few packs of dried noodles …. this could be a window of opportunity for me to hone my culinary skills since there’s no bibik/mama or buffet menu and non of us knew where to get Muslem halal food here.

Honestly, at that point, I only thought of boiling the noodles and mix them with Prego spaghetti sauce garnish with fresh veges nothing would go wrong while cooking a simple dish. But a  suggestion by Zul, helped pushed me to a new frontier altogether. We went to Vinamilk shop centre to get more fresh veges and other suitable ingredients.

Could it be my next fear factor challenge?!

Hahahahaha…..In times like this, when faced with daunting tasks that could bring tears to my eyes (chopping onions was my greatest fear)......I passed the aprons to Zul and Adel and they happily cooked dinner for  three while i dozed off...... hmmmmmm.






No comments:

Post a Comment