Wednesday 15 May 2013

We owe it to our children



Are you still feeling the GE-13 blues? Yes I am, indirectly since my mom, Zul and I were voting from La Xara and my elder brother from Manchester.

Casting a vote and spending a day lining up seem like a waste of my time and I felt like one vote won't change a thing and even if it did, winning or losing one seat won't make any difference to my life. Yes I must admit, that WAS my mentality when I got the chance to cast my first time voting chance during the GE12. I was twenty five and was still a student back then.

Closer to GE-13 I started spending more time reading online mainstream media reports  but I felt sick reading that kept bashing the opposition. I am sitting comfortably on the wall not on any sides here but when you kept reading crap you start to think for yourself. "Are they kidding me?" It is as if, the government can do no wrong and the opposition can do no right.

I switched reading and start watching stuff online and FB is another good source for my references. Someone will post something and I watched and research it online to know the truth. From that day on, I started to follow updates and online news and  getting more interested in GE13.

A lot is going on in my life at the same time - with the kids, the move to Spain and the constant traveling for the past few months but I am glad that I manage to register to vote by post. I voted and I did it right.
I am proud to be Malaysian. I pay taxes on time so I do have the right to speak.
 
People are very emotional when discussing this issue especially when it is on FB, friends fighting with each other because they supported different party and they hit each other negatively online. I don't blame them for feeling so strongly about what they believe in but I wish people would filter what they say to each other.
 I don't like provocation or confrontation and to see it is happening on FB between friends is kinda sad. 

So the 'rakyat' has spoken on the 5 May 2013 and ... I must say throughout my 'research', I was surprised at the result. I really thought the opposition could win more seats than they did and I know that they have won the rakyats heart but somehow the results came out otherwise.

I am blessed to be part of Malaysia. Growing up there, I've always felt at ease and whenever I see riots and rallies in other parts of the world I was proud to say that Malaysia isn't like that but lately,  sad to say, we see it’s happening in Malaysia too.
 
I am not saying I'm pro government or pro opposition. I just want a better Malaysia. What can I do to make Malaysia a better place to reside? Is it enough just by placing a vote every 5 years? 
Every Malaysian should stop making racial comments. This is Tanah Melayu but the Chinese and Indians are Malaysians too and this is Tanah Tumpah darah for them too and Malaysia wouldn't be complete without our Chinese and Indian and all the other races as well. 

The government isn't perfect and the opposition is not all that bad and it is best to accept the results and unite as one nation We owe it to our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment