Thursday 9 August 2012



When it's time, You just know it...


It’s been nearly 18 months ago, he stands nearly  six foot tall, well rounded body, walks with a hunch, greenish deep penetrating eyes he looks a bit like the good looking Edwards. (I hope he won't stumble upon this post walla!).

Opening up wells, oil rates, gas oil ratios, water cuts, sand amounts and tubing pressures are common topics typical drillers like him would usually talk about. We were paired twice and each time when I reported back that a new well was not flowing he would generously gave me an ear to ear smile while batting his long lashes eyes looking so handsome. .

Those days when the wells weren't behaving as they were supposed to, I would consult him and his advice and remedies would never failed me. It worked all the time. It was so easy to communicate with him.With his vast background experience in the production side of the industry he is a gem to the company he works for.

Only those with high capacity to endure waiting, delays, or provocation without becoming angry or upset will know how to appreciate the meaning of the word patience when dealing with stubborn wells. It teaches calmness and composure since we can only assume the well's conditions from it's never complete dataset, and we had to figure out how best to entice natural flow from the wells. 

I am mostly impatient, and  waiting agitates me and I am most fortunate to be mentored by someone as patience, experienced and as special as him… well wise, but also, life wise. 

On one of the trips back to shore, we were in the same boat. Usually when I am on a boat I love to stay at the outer deck, however hard the sun rays seemed to penetrate my skin. He was on deck too, smoking.He saw me and  took a seat beside me. In between the puffs we talked about life, about my company, the government and of course Leodi.

 “How old are you Nina?”

I told him my age. 

“Why aren’t you married yet? Most girls your age would have wanted to settle down and have children whenever possible. I was told you were always on a same project where he is the head”

I looked at him straight eyed, and asked back, “What if I don’t want to settle down with him?”

To which he chuckled. I’d say he was expecting me to say something about my relationship with Leodi…everyone assume we are having a concrete and tangible relationship but no one has directly asked me.  He drew in another puff, and said sagely, “In matters of the heart you must not rush. Take your time babe. When the time comes which will definitly comes and it doesn’t matter if its right now or a long way down the road, when it’s time, you just know.”

Here I was, getting the pep talk I’d expected from my daddy, but hearing this one out in the middle of the ocean from this wise and experienced drilling master in a momentous time we shared together.

The sun was trying its best to burn a hole through my skin. There we sat together, he is so good looking and looks as sage as ever.

I missed that calm, handsome face. Those calm and assured ways when he talks is so comforting. I would have blown my top if others were to ask me personal life questions but with him, it was like talking to a good friend. And he’s solid. You can see the life experiences etched onto his weathered skin. Those calm, unassuming ways of his, it masks the severity of his words.



All I did was to nod as an acknowledgment to his statement,. I missed him, especially now. I need someone solid like him to drag me back to reality one that agrees it is worth the lifetime wait, instead of simply jumping on the wagon as all the other around seemed to be so interested in. That calm, unassuming way of his, it masks the severity of his words. No wonder he is still single.


Again, I miss him and I wish we could work on a project together. It would be good to work with a solid sounding old dude who’s far from being preachy. 





No comments:

Post a Comment